Thursday, August 12

very brief lollapalooza recap...

... which has little to do with the music.

* Took the train in. It was raining. Had a PizzaHut Express pizza and a bourbon at Union Station waiting for the rain to stop. It lessened a bit so I walked .8 miles to the park. The rain was drizzly but not enough to bother me. And it takes VERY LITTLE rain to bother me. It was a nice walk that would seem more like 80 miles that night at 10:30 PM.

* I was dressed for the day in a pair of holey-almost-to-the-point-of-unwearable shorts and a ratty brown-faded-to-basically-colorless t-shirt. I also had my hair down most of the day, which I NEVER do anymore. In the name of Seattle-grunge-nostalgia, I was definitely partying like it was 1992.

* Caught the band "Company of Thieves" in the drizzle. The lead singer is fucking adorable. Started feeling old until I saw someone dancing in the VIP area who looked about my age. Then I realized she was probably allowed back there because she was the bass player's MOM or something. Anyway, it was kinda cool to see a really SMALL band at a small stage on a rainy day. (The person who shot this was probably standing right in front of me, judging from the angle.)

* Looked at the arty tents and clothes and stuff. If I was a skinny girl, I would have bought all kinds of cute stuff. Unfortunately, I am neither, so I just bought a sorta plain if vaguely retro Lollapalooza-branded t-shirt.

* Met up with Cute Alumna and hung out for a while with her friends and, briefly, her DAD. (Who is WAY older than me, thank god.) Sat in the shade on the outskirts of Yeasayer and Mutemath, but didn't really pay any attention to the music. This is why I usually go to concerts ALONE. Why pay $300 to stand in a crowd of people you DON'T know and chat with people you DO know while music you KINDA know plays in the medium-distance? Anyway, Cute Alumna and her friends were all tired from days 1 & 2 so they bagged Sunday by like 4:00. LAME!

*All the fancy food places looked really good but had crazy long lines, so I had a cheap hot dog for "dinner".

* I decided I need some tattoos.

* I found a pretty decent spot to the right of the stage for Wolfmother, and was determined to KEEP that spot so I could slide forward when some people left during the hour between Wolfmother and Soundgarden. Which means I was standing in the same place for almost 5 hours. My feet took DAYS to recover! Also - for me not to pee for 5 hours? UNHEARD OF!!

* Wolfmother was everything I expected - derivative, unoriginal, enthusiastic, and fun.

* I had smuggled 2 tiny airplane bottles of JD in my bag to make the evening concerts mildly more enjoyable. (Life would be way easier if I could convince myself to enjoy beer... and coffee.) Didn't really get much of a buzz going. But now that I know how lax security is, if I ever go again, I'm bringing a FLASK of something GOOD.

* While waiting for Soundgarden, I struck up some occasional chat with a cute, moderately-tattooey, bikini-top-wearing 26-year old chick. While we were talking about music, I made an excuse about liking something she didn't by saying "Well I'm older than you" and she asked how old, and when I told her she kinda wrinkled her brow and took a half step back and said - "No WAY do you look 40 at all!" I believe I may have told her I loved her. After feeling pretty old and irrelevant all afternoon, sometimes the universe gives you what you need. Not often, but sometimes. It certainly karmically makes up for the cute chick at the Rush concert a few weeks ago who ignored me in favor of some 20-something, chinstrap-bearded, hipster-doofus. I'm actually still kind of in a good mood over it.

* Soundgarden was intensely plodding and dismal and awesome, I was maybe 15 feet from the railing right up in the crowd-surfey action, and I got to rub up against a sweaty bikini-clad chick for 2 hours, so... not a bad evening. I was tired and a little sore the next day, but nowhere NEAR as wrecked as Rage Against the Machine in '02. Maybe the (occasional) running and yoga have me in better concert-shape than I thought.


So - that's my one day Lollapalooza adventure. Maybe if I train a little beforehand, I can try TWO days in 2011!

2 comments:

Frank said...

So when do you start freaking out about getting your fall classes ready? After your leisurely (heh) sabbatical, I'm betting on an epic meltdown.

dr. dave said...

Frank - All my Fall classes are repeats of pretty well-established courses. Two of them are all but sleepwalkable, the other is team-taught, discussion-based, and intentionally seat-of-the-pants.

No worries.