Tuesday, December 21

Now just the Jews!! "Then one foggy Xmas Eve, Santa came to say..."

I was reading an article in the local paper this weekend about religion and public school. There is a local school board memeber who is putting together a legal team to study the question of just how MUCH religion can be legally tolerated in school, because he wants students to pray at the start of every day. More on him later.

The rest of the article discussed when can and can't be done in schools. You can pray, but the teacher can't tell you to pray. Or NOT to pray. You can draw a Nativity in art class, and a teacher can hang that on a wall, but the school itself can't display a public nativity. You can sing "traditional" songs, even ones that may have a religious element, as long as they are sung in the context of "cultural history"

And here is where we get a lovely quote from a local teacher about how she handles the issue in her class. (Imagine the Southern accent, it helps...)

"Well, I try to stick to songs like Frosty the Snowman, or Let it Snow, or Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, that way nobody has to feel left out."

Totally. Without. Clue.

After I picked up the pieces of my exploded head, I decided to write a letter to the editor about the school board member who wants to dust off daily school prayer. The letter will read...

"I think the idea of instituting a daily prayer is a wonderful idea. Maybe the students could pray for books. Or well paid teachers. Or that they will miraculously receive a proper education despite being stuck in the 48th-ranked state school system in the country. Or perhaps the school board would be better off trying to actually DO something to address these problems DIRECTLY instead of wasting their time making itself look even MORE foolish and assbackwards to the rest of the fucking country"

I might add that the letter is from an ATHEIST who is sending his children to a RELIGIOUS SCHOOL just to escape the fate of Alabama Public Education.

Medieval-minded assbackwards redneck idiots...

No comments: