Saturday, January 24

a good thing gone bad...

I headed over to the iTunes music store to download snippets from Ani DiFranco’s new album “Educated Guess” and I have to say... I don’t think I’ve ever heard such a talented musician produce an album that was such unmitigated crap from beginning to end. I mean... I know this is only based on 30 second excerpts of each song, but unless the album consists of 14 awesome songs each of which has 30 seconds of crap in the middle, I stand by my assessment. She’s apparently given up playing chords on her guitar in favor of jerky, unmusical, dissonances... and she seems to get far too big a kick out of singing harmony with herself at some unpleasant interval three octaves above the melody (if you can call it a melody) in EVERY song. The only thing that breaks up the monotonous unpleasantness of the songs are the three “spoken word” pieces. And aren’t THOSE always excruciating!

Anyway, thank you Apple and the iTunes music store for saving me $13.99 on THAT stinker.

Dr. D.

No comments: