Tuesday, November 28

the book of limbo...

I guess it's time for an update on the Book Project That Wouldn't Die. Last week I unexpectedly got a check from the original editors for half the contract amount. It's a pittance, money-wise... but given that I have pretty much stopped pursuing them and given up on seeing any payment at all from that original agreement, it was infinity-times more than I was expecting.

And so this week I got an offer of sorts from the NEW editorial firm to continue working on Version 2.0 of the project. The pay is considerably less, the commitment is somewhat vague, and the material I wrote originally will have to be essentially completely rewritten. (The email from the editor is full of vaguely backhanded compliments of the sort - "Clearly you are a great lecturer and a talented writer, but the tone of what you've written here is completely inappropriate for this particular work". I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it.) But I devoted too much of my energy last year to this project to see it shrivel up and die, so... I'm on board, I guess. Some clarifications are still needed, but hopefully I'll be able to spend January writing.

All's I know is... there had better be a damned hardcover book with my name in it at the end of this fucking process.

No comments: