Friday, May 4

dave's frivolous purchase of the day...

Did I say frivolous? I meant FRUGAL! After all this was on clearance for 50% off at Target today! Which means, I didn't spend a hundred dollars... I SAVED a hundred dollars!!

Try to argue with that logic... I dare you.

I was actually quite dissatisfied with it at first, since I quickly discovered that you can not change the outgoing MIDI note number assigned to each of the 8 pads. They are assigned to the general MIDI default numbers for kick, snare, hi tom, lo tom, crash, ride, hi-hat... which is fine if all you want to do is emulate a standard kit, but if you want to play a MARIMBA instead of a drumkit... you are stuck playing weird random notes instead of a SCALE.

I was actually considering taking it back, but then I found a freeware program called MidiPipe that hijacks the incoming info from the MIDI port and can remap all the note numbers before sending the info to GarageBand!!! So i just need to make different config setups for each of the 8-note combos I want for different GarageBand samples. Cumbersome, but it works.

Anyway, the point is... yay, toys!

No comments: