Monday, October 1

i really need to think of...

... something better to do on Monday mornings than to recap the weekend on the blog. It's usually not something I want to "re-live".

* Saturday: Garlic Festival. Sure it sounds good on paper, but the crowds at this place totally ruined any enjoyment we would have gotten out of the experience. The lines for food were like waiting in line for a ride at fucking Disneyworld. It took me 20 minutes to get a lemonade. Insane.

* Sunday: Yardwork. Mowed the lawn and cut down a half-dead 20' pine tree that has been creeping up on our pawer and cable lines for the past couple of years. I have to say - Lorax aside - that's a pretty satisfying feeling.

* Today: Suspense. Dave oversleeps! Should he wait for the later train? No, he's going to try to make it! Zooom! Screeech! Look at him go. He pulls in the the station in record time, plenty of time to get to the... BUT WAIT! Today is October 1st, and he forgot to buy his monthly ticket! He dashes into the ticket shelter. One of the machines is broken! (DRAMATIC CHORD!) He waits nervously for the other customers... one eye on the tracks. Finally it's his turn. Frantically, he pushes the buttons... beep, boop... "please insert card"... What's that? A light on the tracks! "Bank authorization in progress"... TOOT! TOOT!... "Your ticket and receipt are now printing" CHUGGAGHUGGA... TOOOOOT! He grabs the ticket... (damn the receipt!) and springs out the door to the platform as the train pulls to a stop. THE DAY IS SAVED!!

So, anyway. Here I am.

Things in general continue to go well. I have a little cold/throat thing, but it isn't amounting to anything debilitating, so I plan to just use it as an excuse to end class 15 min early.

(As if to punish me for saying that things are going well, the conductor just announced that the rear engine on the train just died!)

As the date of the reading approaches, I've decided to take advantage of my newfound fame and invite the NPR producer who interviewed me a couple of weeks ago. I figure, I don't have that many "connections"... might as well play the ones I DO have.

The first committee meeting of the semester is tomorrow. I will pretend to be inconvenienced while at the same time secretly enjoying the excuse to come home late.

(The helpful conductor informs us that yes... the engine is dead. He neglects to give any indication of what they might DO about this fact.)

I'm trying to teach myself Final Cut on the Mac at work. So naturally I did what any good nerd would do - I bought a $30 book. Then the next day I found an even BETTER book for $40!! There is no problem that an expensive enough book can't solve.

We're moving now, and they seem to be trying to make up for lost time. Because what I really need is the excitement of a DERAILMENT to really perk up the morning.

No comments: