Wednesday, November 19

alpha geeks...

I consider myself somewhat of a geek, but the guy across the aisle on the train has a 17" MacbookPro on which he is simultaneously watching anime and coding a flight-simulator.

Dude... I can't compete with that.

Speaking of geekery, one of our reluctant-favorite shows around the house has become "Big Bang Theory". I didn't really want to like it, but it's pretty damned funny. My wife, being married to a physicist, takes a little too much joy in the show... often in a sort of meta-way, as part of the enjoyment for her comes from ruthlessly mocking me every time I pre-laugh in anticipation of the punch line of a joke about calculus or Star Trek. One memorable occasion involved me muttering the words "Pon Faar" a full second before one of the characters on the show. The dialogue that pleased us the most this week went something like...
GIRL: So, how was YOUR day at work?
LEONARD: Me? Well... I'm a physicist, so... I thought about some stuff...?
GIRL: That's it?
LEONARD: I wrote some of it down.


Meanwhile on the sofa...
DAVE: (stifles a giggle, wipes away tear)
WIFE: Hitting a little close to home over there?
DAVE: I didn't even write any of it down!
WIFE: I'm going to ask you that question every day now, and THAT'S THE ANSWER I EXPECT.

No comments: