Tuesday, March 28

getting it started...

Despite the fact that I woke up with a violent headache, I'm trying to write this morning. I churned out maybe 500 words on the train. I'm trying to just pull out the filters and WRITE, and save the organizing and rewording for later. I have a hard time with that. I'm very meticulous with my wording... especially when writing fairly difficult science stuff. I always feel like there is a *slightly* better way to say something just around the corner of every sentence, so it can take me forever to finish a paragraph. I don't have that luxury right now. I'd like to produce 1500-2000 words a day this week, that way I still have the weekend to clean stuff up and do rewrites.

Plus, given that this is for a "textbook", I have to put together things like a "glossary" and a "reading list". Bleah...

Anyway... I'm thinking a well-timed cup of caffeine this afternoon might be able to fight off the narcolepsy that usually hits me on the train every evening. But I can't drop everything for this, since I still have little or no plan for most of my classes this week.

To spur my creative juices, I've taken to writing in OmniOutliner instead of Word or Pages. What's nice is you can write in sections then "collapse" them to focus on one at a time, or to see the layout of section titles when you're organizing the whole piece. I can't even tell you how much I love this program. It turns a number of unenjoyable tasks into fun little organizational puzzles. And everyone knows I enjoy organizing my work far more than actually doing it.!

No comments: