Tuesday, September 12

i'm sorry, is all this talk of galileo interrupting your nap...?

So, what exactly this the proper etiquette when it comes to dealing with a student who has fallen so soundly asleep in your class that not even the rustle and bustle of the other 15 students filing out of the room is enough to awaken him? I briefly considered making use of the crumpled sheet of notebook paper I was holding in my fist (I had just used it to demonstrate Galileo's law of freefall) to bean the little slacker upside his head. Luckily one of the other students I was speaking to after class gave him a nudge on her way out so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

The scariest thing about teaching college is that you could give me a sheet of paper right now in the second week of class, and I could predict each student's final grade, seal it in an envelope for 3 months, and when you compared it to their actual grade at the end of the course I'm guessing I'd be dead right about 75% of the time.

Anyone else have a prediction for Mr. Van Winkle here...?

No comments: