one more...
So, this is the last week of the semester. I have an exam to give today, a crapload of papers to grade, senior project presentations on Wednesday, graduation and a work-party on Thursday, and that's pretty much it. I hope. I thought I was having a pretty good semester, but I find myself really ready for it to END.
I ran yesterday. I decided to tack on at least another day to the Week 4 program, since I really haven't felt GOOD after that last 5 minute run yet. And yeah... didn't work. I still kinda feel like hell when it's over. Then today I got out of bed and when my foot hit the floor, something inside my ankle went *p'twang*... like a broken guitar string. It hurt like a fucker, and I thought - Ok, then... there goes the running! But it seems ok now. Maybe just plucked a tendon the wrong way or something.
Speaking of athletic careers cut short, we took the Boy to the pediatrician on Saturday, because his allergies had progressed from itchy eyes to a kind of disturbing wheezy cough. The verdict... allergy-induced asthma. The prescription... a nebulizer. Because this kid doesn't have enough genetic strikes against him in the nerd department.
I took both little nerds to see Speed Racer on Mother's Day. Great time to see a movie... Mother's Day at 2:00 in he afternoon. The multiplex was practically empty. The movie wasn't as bad as the critics are saying. Yes it's stupid, but you have to watch it as an homage to the stupid cartoon. If you did not grow up with the cartoon, there is no point to the film whatsoever. So as a stupid homage, it works ok... just campy enough without going overboard. The effects, on the other hand... "overboard" doesn't even BEGIN. Seizure-inducing is more like it. The problem is that it starts out so over-the-top with the spinning and flying race cars that there is no place for it to build to, so the later races are all just more-of-the-same. I was more impressed with the set design, actually... the wallpapers and the lampshades... than I was with the 500 mph zooming CGI cars.
The other highlight of Mother's Day was not only did I make waffles for breakfast, but I baked scones. This did not fail to impress. It helps to keep the bar set really low in that area. Only if you never bake anything EVER does scones-from-a-mix score you ay points.
I also cooked for the wife and I on the grill last night. I made her some kind of cheesy-artichokey stuffed sausages, and I grilled up some salmon for myself. One of us may have a tiny bit of food-poisoning this morning. I'll let you guess who.
Last night I went down to the basement to work on some computer projects. At one point I was working on three laptops at once. It was like the Matrix! Anyway, I dubbed off the Library of Congress LPs of my great-grand-family that I got from NYU, so I can take those back now. Then I moved my bit-torrent operations over from my iBook to my Powerbook. I set up the Powerbook as a 24/7 tv-downloading machine (via Miro) and set up the iBook as an OS9 only "classic" machine that I can put all my old, old programs on. Because you never know. (Anyone have any "Think Pascal" programs they need compiled?) Of course, if the end of summer rolls around and I still don't have enough money for a new computer... I'll have to give back the Macbook and undo all that. Let's all hope that doesn't happen.
And speaking of computers... I should stop fucking with mine and grade some exams.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment