Saturday, April 24

graphic novella...

So, today is apparently 24-Hour Comic Day. Who knew there was such a thing? It’s apparently an invention of Scott McCloud whose deconstructions of the comic genre are quite interesting reads. If I didn’t have, you know.... a LIFE, I’d definitely pick up a stack of paper and start drawing a 24-page comic book RIGHT NOW. Although... I’ve always been more of a 1-panel guy when it comes to comics... “Far Side” type stuff. You wanna know why? It’s because I’m too fucking lazy to try to draw characters that look the same in every panel. And because I have the attention span of a...

But that reminds me, I have this idea for when I start my new job developing science education materials. Comic books!! As in... comic book versions of famous scientific works. Darwin’s “Origin of Species”... Newton’s “Principia”... Galileo’s “Starry Messenger”... all re-imagined as COMICS!! The text would be excerpted from the original historical works, but it would be combined with modern, edgy, illustrations.

I had this idea that it would be away to make the history of science appealing to teenage-students, but now that I think about it... probably only to nerdy boys who wind up liking science anyway. Oh well. I still wanna do it, because I think it would be cool.

(Speaking of nerdy boys.)

No comments: