entry 1,139... in which Jesus gets dissed...
Believe it or not, I wasn't TOO sore yesterday. Granted, I couldn't really easily raise my arms above shoulder-height... but my legs were ok and my abs were ok. Then I walked up to 20th street to look at some Timbuk2 messenger bags (I may order a custom one with my birthday money in a few weeks, but I wanted to see them "in-person" first)... and then I walked down to NYU to grab some books from the library and suddenly my legs started to complain a bit. Now... TODAY?? NOW I'm sore!!
So... the committee assignments came down yesterday. I'm on the "Academic Standards Committee". According to the announcement the committee is "responsible for reviewing student appeals of grades, mediating in cases of charges of plagiarism and other academic standards issues". Great... so all my LEAST favorite things to have to deal with in my OWN courses?? Now I have to deal with them in EVERYONE'S COURSES!! Oh well... there are worse committees, I guess.
I just realized yesterday that I have pretty much a 5 day vacation now... given that I don't teach on Fridays or Mondays, and that next Tuesday is Rosh Hashana. Yay for the Jews and their scattered fall holidays! I have no idea what Rosh Hashana IS, really... I just know we're celebrating by driving to IKEA and spending our house-sale money on a custom closet for master bedroom.
Speaking of religions, I had a great experience at the Unitarian church last Sunday. It was the first time we've seen a sermon by the actual minister of the church. (Meetings are often congregation-led, especially in the summer). He was going on and on and decided to illustrate his topic with a reading from the Book of John (from, as he called it... "a book called 'The Bible'..." as if perhaps many of us had never heard of it.) He reads this thing about sheep, and thieves coming over the fence, and Jesus coming through the gate, and sheep following the voice of their owner... and.... who the hell knows... once the Bible comes out, Dave begins to tune out a bit. Then after he reads the thing, the Minister says... "What John is saying here, and what Jesus is saying... if in fact he did say these words..."
Hmm? What? I'm awake!!! I perked up even more when, after explaining the meaning of the parable, he added... "This is one place where I think the Bible is wrong. There is NOT just one path to spiritual truth. I think ALL world religions offer a path to enlightenment..."
Dude... did you just dis' JESUS?? I SO have to trick my Mom into coming to Church with us when she visits. SHE WILL FUCKING EXPLODE!!!
Alright... time to think for a few minutes about what I'm teaching this morning. This is the 4th week of classes, folks. THE SEMESTER IS 1/4 OVER!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment