Tuesday, April 11

blowing off...

It's tough to take a Mental Health Day when you teach... it never seems worth canceling class for, so you take it wherever you can. So today I'm taking a Half Mental Health Day and going in a little late. We have a guest speaker in the team-taught class, so missing it shouldn't be a big deal. It felt good to sleep "in" until 6:15 today.

The light at the end of the tunnel is definitely getting brighter. I really only have 7 or 8 classes left in each of my courses. I need to do one more big grading blitz before the final, and then... well that's pretty much it. And the last part of two of my classes is the best part... particle physics and the big bang and stuff, so the teaching will be pretty good from here on out. (The music class is another story... who the fuck knows what's going to be happening in there for the next few weeks.) Anyway... the feeling of it all winding down has put me in a good mood.

The weather doesn't hurt either. Yesterday was the first really good sunroof/Indigo Girls day of the season. It's still that weird part of the year when it's 33º in the morning, though. So you have to wear a coat in the morning, but then it's 65º on the way home, so you have to CARRY your coat. When it comes right down to it, there are only 3 or 4 weeks of the entire year when the weather doesn't suck.

But enough about the weather...

Since I had a little extra time to catch the late train this morning, I dropped by the Middle of Nowhere Café to grab some tea, and my eye was caught by the muffins. I'm not usually a big muffin-fan in general, but these looked good, and they were normal-sized... not those freaky muffins the size of your head. So I got a lemon-poppy seed muffin, and... oh my GOD! Best. Muffin. Ever.

Thing is... I'm sure it had 1200 calories... it tasted like the cake my Mom used to make that has a whole pound of butter in it. And I really do not need to get hooked on 1200 calorie muffins right now, given the fact that my waist-area is developing into this kind of autonomous entity. I'm beginning to feel a bit Jabba-esque. My gut is actually starting to interfere with my laptop use. I should do something about that. Like what? That's always the dilemma, innit? I could start with small things like... oh... NOT eating fistfulls of Lucky Charms out of the box every time I walk through the kitchen.

The other thing is (going back 2 thoughts now) I always get tea at this cafe... and its a GOOD brand of tea, but it always sucks. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not their water. Should I say something? It could be that the tea is just stale, too... I don't imagine anyone orders the loose-leaf tea but me at this place. Oh, the indignities of being in the beverage minority.

That's about it. Not sure what to do now. Think abut my class a little, maybe. Maybe I'll watch some pirate-TV. I downloaded the whole first season of Weeds... it's a very peculiar show, but I have a thing for Mary-Louise Parker, so...

Anyways. That's that.

No comments: