(Sorry. The phrase "new books" always puts me in the mind of Paul Schaeffer c. 1990)
So the wife and I drove to Connecticut today for the "Scholastic Warehouse Boooksale"... a whole fucking warehouse scattered with 50% off books. We spent $105. That's a crapload of books.
But I'm pretty set for the summer now as far as summer-fiction-reading goes. I always try to put aside the science-geekery for a little bit during the summer and read some fiction and/or littra-chaw, and this is what I have lined up so far...
"jPod" - by Douglas Coupland, which comes out next week and I'm REALLY excited about because it's over 400 pages and sometimes his books can be really short and I wait for 3 years for them and then read them in an afternoon.
"Dharma Bums" - by Jack Kerouac, because this summer it'll be exactly 10 years since I read "On The Road" for the first time. I was alone in Switzerland for a week and I found it really depressing.
"Dune" - by Frank Herbert, because I have an embarrassing Dune-hole in my geek cred.
"The Subtle Knife" - by Philip Pullman, because I read the first book in the series and it didn't suck, and when that happens I feel compelled to read the whole series until they DO start to suck, and sometimes even that doesn't stop me. (See Rice, Anne)
"The Historian" - by Elizabeth Kostova, because I heard a story about it on NPR a year ago, and NPR can make anything sound good. I don't even remember what it's about, except that it sounded kinda like the Da Vinci Code... only with Dracula.
We'll see how much I actually get read. I could list the NON-fiction titles I have piled on my nightstand as well, but... that would be a much longer and much more boring list!
No comments:
Post a Comment