I think I mentioned the other day responding to a "call for contributors" to write essays for a new sourcebook in the history of science. Well, yesterday I got this response from the publisher...
"Dear Dr. Dave,
Thanks for your response regarding The Encyclopedia of the History of Science. We quite enjoyed your writing samples; they did indeed show you to be a compelling writer. We'd be happy to give you a better picture of this project and hope you'll be interested in writing one or more entries."
... which means that by the end of the year, I could have some stuff published by an honest-to goodness textbook publisher. (I googled the editors to make sure they were legit, and they seem to have put together more than a half-dozen of these sorts of publications for a major academic press.)
It's about time I fell ass-backwards into one of these textbook projects. I have colleagues who work on them, and they can never adequately explain how they wind up doing so... it just kinda falls in their lap. Finally something falls into MINE.
Anyway, they have a specific entry list. They are looking for 6000-8000 word essays on things like gravity, relativity, and quantum mechanics. (Also things like polymers, organ transplants and trigonometry in other fields.) They pay between $900 and $1200 per essay, which is fine, and somewhat more than a "pittance", but really - it's not about the money. It's about padding the big folder when my faculty appointment comes up for review. This project should serve nicely.
Yay, me!
No comments:
Post a Comment